Want to know more about Rachel and Jorge's background and history? Here are 12 fun facts about me and my family:
1. My mother taught me how to sew when I was 7 years old, but I didn’t discover the joy sewing brought me until high school when I made most of school wardrobe.
2. My first job as a teenager was at a wedding dress shop altering wedding gowns, bridesmaid dresses, and even prom gowns for my classmates.
3. I have a bachelor’s degree in fine arts with a minor in both art history and theatre design as well as an associate degree in fashion design.
4. I started my first business, Iron Doll Clothing, when I was 26 years old selling athletic apparel and Roller Derby uniforms to over 500 teams in 8 different countries.
5. I played Roller Derby under the name Iron Maiven for 10 years.
6. I was in Drew Barrymore’s Roller Derby movie ‘Whip It’ as well as a Nike commercial featuring the sport.
7. I met my husband while working as a production manager and convinced him to come to one of my Roller Derby bouts. We were married 9 years later.
8. My husband’s family has been in the pleating and stitching business since the late 1950's.
9. Jorge continues to run his family business, www.acepleatingandstitching.com, out of an 11,000 square foot facility just outside of Los Angeles, CA.
10. Jorge’s factory is home to over 200 pleating and stitching machines, my favorite is the elastic smocking machine.
11. If a machine doesn’t exist to complete the design requests of a customer, Jorge can build it.
12. Jorge has pleated and stitched everything from runway dresses to designer jeans for big name brands and even costumes for major theme parks, movies, and television.
Click the button below to view our latest handmade collection featuring our signature modern smocking lovingly designed and sewn by our family in California.